Introduce your child to water in a playful and secure environment.
In the infant program, a parent or carer supports the baby or toddler in the pool. This helps build confidence and supports the child's learning process.
Children will learn to:
- be familiar with having water over their face and head
- control their breath and blow bubbles
- float, paddle and propel themselves.
Our swimming teachers
Our teachers hold nationally accredited swimming teacher and water safety certificates, and specialised qualifications for teaching infants. They have current CPR and first aid certificates, and have training in safeguarding children and young people.
Ages: 1 - 2 years
Ages: 2 - 3 years
Swimming Lessons Information
Program and Safety Requirements
Infant and Preschool lessons
- Babies must be at least 6 months old
- Children in nappies must wear aqua nappies that are tight fitting around the thighs (you can buy them in centre)
- Parents should bring bathers during the first few lessons, in case the child gets upset and needs support in the water
All child lessons
- Bring bathers, towel, goggles (recommended, but not required) and dry clothes
- Come to the edge of the pool at the start of the lesson and directly hand over your child to the teacher
- Watch the lesson (Preschool classes)
- Stay as close as possible to the lesson (for example, by sitting in the chairs around the pool)
- Come to the edge of the pool at the end of the lesson and collect your child
- Photos are only allowed in the pool area with prior arrangement (never in the change room area). See our FAQs page for more information.
To provide a safe environment for your child, parents/carers must stay in the pool with infants for the whole lesson.
We can develop swimming lessons on request to cater for participants with special needs.
We can custom-design swimming programs for school or community groups of all ages with intellectual or physical disabilities. The programs focus on improvement of health and wellbeing and enhance self confidence.
Our teachers are AUSTSWIM accredited, and provide a safe, social and encouraging learning environment. To find out more, please contact us.
Feel free to come into the centre and speak to one of our customer service officers, or contact us to determine the right level for your child’s lessons.
For more information, or to register your interest in swimming lessons, fill in the enquiry form on this page and one of our friendly customer service team will be in touch.
Fortnightly direct debit
Concession(for health care card holders)
- All centre fees and charges undergo an annual pricing review.
- Fees are paid by fortnightly by direct debit. No lock-in contracts. 14 days written notice are required to cancel.
- Debits therefore occur beyond the program dates. The intent behind the 26 fortnightly debits per year is to minimise the cost impact to families by reducing the value of each debit.
Swimming Lesson Terms and Conditions
Read the Swimming Lesson Terms and Conditions.
Watch Around Water Policy Information
At YMCA Victoria we are a Watch Around Water endorsed aquatic safety organisation. The following information is the new watch around water policy launched in centre from 1 September 2019.
Watch Around Water is a set of industry guidelines outlining the minimum supervision requirements of young children at all affiliated aquatic venues.
Children under 5 years oldAll Children MUST be accompanied into the Centre by a person over the age of 18 and supervised within arms’ reach, at all times in the water.
All children MUST wear a pink wristband supplied by YMCA staff to help identify their age while swimming.
Children will not be admitted without a full fee paying parent/guardian who must also be in the water at all times. Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under 5 years exceeds the ratio of 1:2 (effective September 1 2019).
Children under 10 years oldAll Children under the age of 10 MUST be accompanied into the Centre by a person over the age of 18. All children MUST be actively supervised by an adult over the age of 18 at all times. The adult must have a clear and active view of the child with no physical or structural barriers between them (this includes tech and devices).
All children MUST wear a yellow wristband supplied by YMCA staff to help identify their age while swimming. Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under 10 years exceeds the ratio of 1:4.
Birthday PartiesAll children under the age of 10 MUST be accompanied into the Centre by a person over the age of 18 and handed over to the supervision of the birthday party leader (staff member).
All birthday party participants must wear a BLUE wristband AND an age based wristband (pink or yellow) to identify their participation in a party (effective September 1 2019). The adult guardian of the birthday party child MUST remain accessible and actively supervise the group at all times.
At the conclusion of the birthday party the child/children will remain in the supervision of the birthday party leader and supervising parent until physically handed over to their supervising parent/guardian.
Visit the watch around water websiteFor more information visit the Watch Around Water website.